As of June 6, 2022, Materials Performance (MP) magazine began accepting nominations for its 2023 Corrosion Innovation of the Year Awards program. The nomination period continues until Oct. 14, 2022.
Successful innovations should show the potential for a significant positive impact in corrosion control. Innovations may be related to coatings and linings, materials design, equipment, testing, monitoring, modeling/risk assessment, cathodic protection, or chemical treatment—anything that directly relates to corrosion prevention and mitigation.
Each nomination will be rated by a panel of leading corrosion experts using a numerical scoring system. The highest-rated innovations will receive the awards. As they are received and vetted, nominations will be posted on the MP awards web site. Further details on the program, including the nomination guidelines and submission form, are available there, as well.
Innovations selected for an award will be honored and receive a trophy as part of a live presentation during the 2023 AMPP Annual Conference + Expo in Denver, Colorado, USA. All top innovations will also be highlighted in MP.
Here’s a look at some frequently asked questions regarding the program.
How Will Recipients be Selected?
Each innovation nomination is rated by a diverse panel of leading corrosion experts through a numerical scoring system. The highest-rated innovations will ultimately receive the awards.
The rating criteria are:
• Does the description provided adequately describe the innovation—how it works, its purpose, and what makes it innovative?
• Does the innovation improve an existing corrosion-control solution or provide a new solution where none previously existed?
• Has the nominator sufficiently demonstrated that the innovation works as described, either by providing laboratory or field test results?
• Can the innovation be incorporated into existing corrosion prevention and control activities?
• Does the innovation benefit the corrosion-control industry?
How Do I Nominate an Innovation?
The nomination form, which is available at the awards web site, must be downloaded, completed, and submitted by Oct. 14, 2022.
The nomination form asks for a full description of the innovation, which should include:
• The need for the innovation;
• The process used for developing and implementing the innovation;
• An evaluation of the results;
• And criteria used to determine its success.
The summary description should be 300 words or less, including one photo, and the full description should be limited to no more than 10 pages.
Participants can select a category on the form they feel best fits the innovation: coating and linings, cathodic protection, materials design, chemical treatment, instrumentation, testing, modeling/risk assessment, or “other.”
What Are the Eligibility Requirements?
To be eligible for consideration, an innovation must meet the following eligibility criteria:
• To qualify for consideration, the innovation must have been in some sort of development phase on or after January 1, 2018.
• The innovation technology nominated must be feasible.
• Innovations may not be a previous recipient of an MP Corrosion Innovation of the Year Award.
• Nominations must be submitted on the official 2023 nomination form available on the MP Corrosion Innovation Awards web site and/or emailed to MPInnovationAwards@ampp.org by Friday, October 14, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time. The form must include all requested contact information.
Any entries that do not meet the eligibility criteria will be disqualified. Nominations submitted after the deadline date may not be accepted.
Anyone worldwide who is involved with corrosion control, including individuals, companies, organizations, and governments, can submit a nomination—and more than one, if desired. There is no cost associated with entries, and an individual or company can nominate themselves as well as a previously nominated innovation. However, innovations that have previously received an MP Corrosion Innovation of the Year Award cannot be nominated again.
Later this year, all nomination forms will be vetted to ensure they meet eligibility criteria for the program. As soon as they are vetted, each nomination will be posted for viewing on the MP Corrosion Innovation of the Year Awards nominations page.
Source: MP Corrosion Innovation of the Year Awards, www.ampp.org/mpinnovationawards.